Education has become more complicated and demanding than ever. Teachers want to do the best for their students, but TIME is limited. If you ask them what is their most important job, they’ll say something like, “…impacting their students.” Teaching is so personal, and building relationships is a priority for the best teachers. Effective teaching comes from knowing students as much as knowing content. A teacher’s greatest strength is being able to connect their students’ strengths and weaknesses to the content. This takes time and attention. Attempting to create their own materials means they’re likely to neglect some other area.
How do I know? I spent twelve years teaching 1st-6th grades. Plus 6 years applying Marzano’s research to design resources that help teachers differentiate instruction. I’ve shared this work online, and at teacher conferences. It’s become painfully obvious to me that curriculum development is a very different job than effective classroom teaching. Of course they can figure it out; but do they have an extra 40 hours per subject to do it? That’s how long it took me to research and write scales with assessment questions. Do you want teachers at the TOP of their game? Then let them do what they do best – connect with students in the classroom!
How can you set them up to be as successful as possible? Get your teachers started with EDITABLE PROFICIENCY SCALES that are done for them. When every learning standard is already broken down into four levels of difficulty, teachers have an instant outline for planning differentiation. The leveled assessments perfectly align to each scale so students can prove mastery by completing concrete tasks. No more guess work for teachers, parents, or students. Plenty of documentation for measuring student growth and progress. Win-Win-Win!
Download this bundle of Free Examples to try in the classroom. See how much time and energy you will save! Your teachers will THANK YOU!
*Please Contact Melanie LiCausi at email@example.com for information and pricing on School Site Licenses. Thank you for your interest!
These resources cover every Common Core ELA standard in multiple ways (Reading Literature, Reading Information, Reading Foundations, Writing, Speaking & Listening, and Language). The Assessments will help you to objectively differentiate student groups, and the Portfolio pages will provide a quick and easy way to track student pre- and post-unit progress. If your school uses the Marzano Framework or iObservations for Teacher Evaluations, this BUNDLE will save you weeks of work! The resources are perfectly align to a growth mindset, standards-based grading, and make differentiation planning easy! Inspired by Marzano’s research in “The NEW Art and Science of Teaching” these resources format every standard into four proficiency scales from 1-4 (levels of difficulty), with a learning goal statement accompanying each one.
Save up to 50% by purchasing all of these grade levels at one time!
The Leveled Assessments for ELA are designed with the idea that students learn skills and understand concepts in a progressive way. Instead of presenting students with an assessment that is pass or fail, right or wrong, this assessment recognizes what a child already knows in incremental steps (usually scales 1-2). and creates a clear model of what the child is expected to understand by the end of the year (scales 3-4). Inspired by Marzano’s research in “The New Art and Science of Teaching” this assessment breaks down every READING standard into four scales from 1-4 (levels of difficulty), with a learning goal statement accompanying each one. The domains of WRITING, SPEAKING, LISTENING, and LANGUAGE are supported with student guides and rubrics so that you can integrate them into your own classroom assignments and activities easily. This makes pre- and post-testing a matter of planning, and not an EXTRA assessment that students have to stress over, or you have to plan extra time for. This are quick and easy to use, so that you can realistically assess a students progress multiple times throughout the year. YEAH!
Please review each preview and get excited about all the work that’s been done for you!
Download the FREE PREVIEWs by following the links on the “Teacher Freebies” page. The previews represent a sample of the complete set of standards for Math which will include every standard in color, black & white. These posters are ideal for anyone in a state or district that has modified Common Core standards.
THIS BUNDLE INCLUDES:
- One Complete Set of Leveled Assessments aligned to Proficiency Scales for EVERY ELA Standard in each Grade Level – 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th, in six separate pdf files.
- One Complete Set of Portfolio Pages (Student Tracking Sheets) aligned to Proficiency Scales for EVERY ELA Standard in each Grade Level – 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th, in six separate pdf files.
EACH GRADE-LEVEL DOCUMENT INCLUDES:
- One Complete Set of Leveled Assessments aligned to Proficiency Scales for EVERY ELA Standard in each domain (Reading Literature RL, Reading Information RI, Reading Foundations RF, Writing W, Speaking & Listening SL, and Language L). These come in multiple labeled documents because they are so large.
- Reading passages appropriate for each grade level (fiction and non-fiction).
- Four leveled assessment pages for EACH Reading Literature & Information LEARNING STANDARD that align to the four levels of the learning scale (1-4). These are based on the specific reading passages given.
- A second set of four leveled assessment pages for EACH Reading Literature & Information LEARNING STANDARD that align to the four levels of the learning scale (1-4). This second set can be used with “ANY TEXT” and includes general questions relating to each Learning Objective.
- Detailed ANSWER KEYS with sample answers for written explanations.
- Running Records are included for assessing Reading Fluency in Literature and Nonfiction.
- Supplemental Vocabulary Practice Resources for High Frequency Latin & Greek Prefixes, Roots, and Suffixes, with their own separate no-prep practice games and unit quizzes.
- One Complete Set of Portfolio Pages (Student Tracking Sheets) aligned to Proficiency Scales for EVERY ELA Standard in each Grade Level – sorted into groups by Domain, with quick coloring pages for tracking progress, and simple reflection sheets for writing about goals and progress.
*A Free Copy of “Proficiency Scales: An Easy Guide for Teachers,” written by Melanie LiCausi of Mrs. L’s Leveled Learning LLC. This document shares my own experience in the classroom: the basics of understanding, writing, teaching, planning, assessing, grading, and organizing the implementation of proficiency scales. ENJOY!
*School Site License – Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one entire school, including classroom, resource, and special support teachers. No part of the original content may be used to create new resources for free, for sale, or for sharing on school databases without written permission from Melanie LiCausi at Mrs. L’s Leveled Learning LLC. Please contact me personally at firstname.lastname@example.org
These resources were developed using the following references:
Marzano, R. J. (2017). The new art and science of teaching. Bloomington, IN: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, and Solution Tree Press.
Common Core State Standards © Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved. http://www.corestandards.org